Monday, May 23, 2011

 

My good friend and creator of Love and Capes, Thom Zahler, asked me to do this incentive variant cover for Love and Capes #4 from IDW (May 2011 issue!). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it in comics stores yet and my local funnybook store didn't know that it was even available! Oh well...on the bright side, maybe this means I'll become collectible.

Thom's book is great and I was honored that he asked me to do a guest cover. He gave me some broad direction of what he was looking for and I did a rough for approval on my tablet PC using Sketchcbook Pro. The final image was down in Illustrator.

It would have been fun to draw the cover traditionally on boards and ink with a brush (nothing quite like holding an original!), but I was busy directing the animation on HOP for Illumination/Universal and new that it would be impossible to spend more than a few minutes a week sitting at my drawing table. At that pace, it would have taken me a year to finish. Using AI, I could work on the cover in little chunks of free time no matter where I was; on a plane, in a Starbucks or wherever. The look was in keeping with Thom's style even though the drawing is 100% mine.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]